New England Orienteering Championships
Orienteering USA Two-Day National Ranking Event
TO VIEW THE EVENT PACKET ONLINE - CLICK HERE -
Print it at home, or download it to a device for easy reference throughout the weekend!
The New England Orienteering Club (NEOC) welcomes you, October 7th and 8th, 2023 for the New England Orienteering Championships (open) on a fully updated (2020) orienteering map of Wells State Park, Sturbridge, Massachusetts.
This is a classic distance format, two-day combined time event. Both days are National Ranking Events sanctioned by Orienteering USA.
Schedule of Events
Friday, Oct 6, 2023
2:00 – 6:00 PM Model map open
Saturday, Oct 7, 2023
8:00 – 11:00 AM Model map open
9:00 AM NRE Registration opens for those renting SI devices, on-the-day entries, and for folks who need to make changes (SI# or course). Otherwise, no check-in is needed.
10:00 AM On-the-day registration opens for recreational courses
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Start Window for all courses (walk to start 1km, 12-15 minutes, uphill)
3:00 PM Courses close
Sunday, Oct 8, 2021
9:00 AM On-the-day registration opens for recreational courses
9:00 – 11:00 AM Start Window (walk to start 500m, 6 minutes)
12:15 PM Awards Ceremony (with additional awards pickup available afterward)
2:00 PM Courses close
Competitive: We will offer OUSA standard courses and age classes. Winning time estimates: Blue (70-80min), Red (60-75min), Green (45-55min), Brown (40-50min), Orange (35-50min), Yellow (25-40min), White (20- 30min). The maximum time allowed on course is 3 hours. Pre registration is required for competitive courses. NOTE: as of 9/20, there will be one Green course (no x/y split). Brown will stay as two courses.
Recreational: Recreational courses (W, Y, O) will be offered both days. Enter in advance, or on the day at the event. The courses will be the same as the competitive courses. Starts from 10-12 on Saturday, from 9-11 on Sunday.
Saturday Course Details
Sunday Course Details
Pre-registration through EventReg
See who is registered here.
member of OUSA, COF, or IOF
member of OUSA, COF, or IOF
|On the day
* Not a member of OUSA, COF, or IOF? Did you know that OUSA membership runs for 12 calendar months from the date you join? Juniors can join for just $10, Students (24 and under) for just $20, individual adults for just $35, and families for only $45. See OUSA Membership for details.
- SportIdent electronic punching will be used on all courses. SI cards may be rented through pre-registration for competitive classes, or on the day for recreation classes (fee $10/day).
- Water will be available on intermediate and advanced courses (OBrGRBl).
- All competitors must carry a safety whistle. Whistles will be available at the start for those in need.
- No numbers, no packet pickup. Event information will be available on the website and via pdf, so you can print it at home if you wish.
- Control descriptions will be printed on the maps. Loose control descriptions will be available at the start.
Awards to the top three finishers in each class. The 2023 New England Championships will revive the tradition of being an open event: titles and awards are open to all runners on competitive courses (no New England club or residency requirements). Since it is a combined time, two-day championship, award eligibility requires running the same class both days. Pre-registration is also required.
In lieu of organized child care, we are happy to provide those with small children or special needs appropriate start time flexibility.
Event Director: Kristin Hall (
Registrar: Sam Levitin (
Course Setter: Jon Campbell (
Vetters: Tristan Smith, Carl Underwood (